Whole30 Diary: Week 3
I can't believe how quickly week 3 passed by! Week 2 was slow and cruel, but thankfully week 3 felt generally kinder. It was more rewarding with the numerous new non-scale victories that revealed themselves on different days, though it wasn't a complete breeze.
Egg boredom set in around day 18, which made breakfast the most difficult meal throughout week 3. The notion of having another over easy egg seemed dreadful. I even felt bored with avocados, typically one of my favorite foods! I made myself eat the avocado egg salad I prepped (it felt wrong to let is go to waste just because I was finicky) but I also tried to switch things up a little bit by just not eating breakfast-like meals occasionally. There's nothing wrong with leftovers from last night for breakfast!
Variation seems to be key for a successful Whole30. I used week 3 to change up some of my recipes that had been in my wheelhouse since day 1. I finally used the ghee I purchased from Trader Joe's on some roasted cauliflower with curry spices, which gave it a totally different flavor than my usual extra virgin olive oil. I also found a few new recipes to try out, one being a fantastic Coconut Lime Chicken. It turned out creamy and flavorful, and I'll have to make it again sometime soon!
These non-scale victories popped up throughout week 3 and kept me motivated:
- Increased energy: Since day 19, my energy level has been amazing! I had a super productive week and barely needed coffee. Hello, Tiger Blood!
- Increased activity: This is related to having more energy, but I felt more motivated to exercise this week. I walked a total of 85,000 steps!
- My clothes are starting to get loose
- Improved mood, better at handling stress
- More comfortable ordering out while staying compliant
- Other people noticing: I know I shouldn't need to hear feedback from others on my appearance, but it did feel nice to hear it. I was told that I looked leaner and less tired by friends, which was really encouraging!
As I begin week 4, I'm feeling confident. I'll check back in once my last week is complete. Day 30 is on the horizon!